There are times where your battery seems not charging correctly, or it doesn’t go to 100% regardless of how long you charge it. This may be a sign of either a battery failure or your battery need to have a calibration exercise. The Android system keeps track of the battery % and may not always reflect 100% the actual state of the battery. Over times, what registered in the system may be out of sync, and this causes all sort of battery-related issues. Before looking at the battery replacement option, you can try to calibrate the battery to see if that helps.
This is one of the most common (non-rooted) approaches in battery calibration.
Note: Do not do this too frequently and unnecessarily. Lithium batteries do not like such extreme exercise as this will shorten their lifespan.
- Discharge your tablet fully until it powers itself off completely (dead). You can try to run the tablet in a high-intensity (i.e., intensity 400) setting with the Pad or Spot continuously. This should deplete the battery in a maximum of 4 hours.
- Turn the tablet on again. It should turn itself off quickly again.
- Now, plug the charger to the tablet, and without turning it on, let it charge until the on-screen says 100%.
- Unplug your charger and remove from the tablet.
- Turn the tablet on. If the battery indicator still doesn’t show 100 per cent, then plug back the charge with the tablet on, and continue charging until it hits 100%.
- Now, remove the charger and reboot the tablet. If the tablet still doesn’t indicate 100%, plug the charger back in until it hits 100%
- Repeat this cycle until it says 100 per cent (or as close as you think it’s going to get) when you start it up without it being plugged in.
- Finally, let your tablet discharge all the way down to 0% once more and let it turn off itself.
- Charge your tablet with the tablet turned off until the on-screen says 100%.
The process above should re-calibrate the system battery percentage.
The above process may not work if the problem is due to
- The battery is dying physically. You need a replacement. If your system has been active for more than a year, then there is a high possibility
- Your charger is not working or have a connection issue. Always check for the presence of the “charging symbol” as there is no charging light indicator on the tablet.
← How to Re-calibrate Battery