There are times where your battery seems not charging correctly, or it doesn’t go to 100% regardless of how long you charge it. This may be a sign of either a battery failure or your battery need to have a calibration exercise. The Android system keeps track of the battery % and may not always reflect 100% the actual state of the battery. Over times, what registered in the system may be out of sync, and this causes all sort of battery related issues. Before looking at the battery replacement option, you can try to calibrate the battery to see if that helps.
This is one of the most common (non-rooted) approaches in battery calibration.
Note: Do not do this too frequently and unnecessarily. Lithium batteries do not like such extreme exercise as this will shorten their lifespan.
- Discharge your tablet fully until it powers itself off completely (dead). You can try to run the tablet in a high-intensity (i.e., intensity 400) setting with the Pad or Spot continuously. This should deplete the battery in a maximum of 4 hours.
- Turn the tablet on again. It should turn itself off quickly again.
- Now, plug the charger to the tablet, and without turning it on, let it charge until the on-screen says 100%.
- Unplug your charger and remove from the tablet.
- Turn the tablet on. If the battery indicator still doesn’t show 100 per cent, then plug back the charge with the tablet on, and continue charging until it hits 100%.
- Now, remove the charger and reboot the tablet. If the tablet still doesn’t indicate 100%, plug the charger back in until it hits 100%
- Repeat this cycle until it says 100 per cent (or as close as you think it’s going to get) when you start it up without it being plugged in.
- Finally, let your tablet discharge all the way down to 0% once more and let it turn off itself.
- Charge your tablet with the tablet turned off until the on-screen says 100%.
The process above should re-calibrate the system battery percentage.
The above process may not work if the problem is due to
- Battery is dying physically. You need a replacement. If your system has been active for more than a year, then there is a high possibility
- Your charger is not working or have connection issue. Always check for presence of the “charging symbol” as there is no charging light indicator on the tablet.
← How to Re-calibrate Battery